It has been a while since we had a good ‘Cooking with R&R’ post. I had actually meant to do this one in the beginning along with the others. But alas, my laziness got the better of me and I just didn’t do it! 😉
But I have found a renewed vigor, and have committed to finishing this post which has languished unpublished for so very long! (See the fancy words in that sentence….it means I’m serious!)
Here we go, a quick and easy chicken & rice dinner!
1 Cup of Jasmine Rice
1 teaspoon of salt
1 and 1/2 cups boiling water
5 -8 Chicken Thighs
Adobe (no pepper) Seasoning
Freshly Ground Pepper
1 QT saute pan for the rice (stainless steel preferably)
1 large skillet for the chicken
For the Rice:
- In a saute pan (that you have a lid for) coat the bottom with cooking oil. I use canola.
- Pour in rice. I use jasmine as we prefer it. You can use whatever you like, but you’ll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it cooks right
- Add the salt and stir
- In a micorwave safe container or cup, put the 1 and 1/2 cups of water and microwave on high for 2 minutes
- Turn on burner to medium high
- Stir rice until a portion of the grains start to turn chalky
- Add in the now HOT water
- WARNING: The water will boil instantly upon pouring it into the pan so be VERY CAREFUL!!
- Let simmer until you can ALMOST see the rice, stirring regularly
- Cover with lid and turning heat to low
- Let cook 15 minutes
- NOTE: I usually cook it in increments of 7 and 1/2 mintues checking by tasting at the halfway mark only because an older gas range I had seemed to power cook the rice and have it done in half the time. My current range does not do this, however it has now become habit for me to do it this way 😉 !
- Once cooked to your liking, take the lid off and fluff with fork
- If you so choose, from here you can make what Dominicans call ‘Con Con’.
- DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU USED A NON-STICK PAN!! You’ll obviously ruin the non-stick coating if you scrap it with a metal spoon! 😉
- This is rice that has been left at the bottom of the pan and cooked to a crispy consistency. All you have to do is fluff everything but what is stuck to the bottom of the pan. Leave the pan on the burner at it’s lowest setting for another 5 to 10 minutes. Once that is done, transfer the cooked rice to another bowl, grab a spoon and scrape the rice off of the bottom of the pan. Serve at the table in a separate bowl for those who like it to eat it. The Wife LOVES the stuff 😉
For the Chicken:
- I usually use 5 to 8 chicken thighs in this recipe. Although fattier then breasts (giggity) I prefer the taste. Your mileage may vary!
- Spread them out on a plate and season one side
- In a large skillet, get some Olive Oil warmed up
- Once hot, place the chicken seasoned side down in the pan
- Repeat seasoning on unseasoned side
- Once browned, flip
- Once thoroughly cooked, serve with the rice
How it comes out:
DELICIOUS! (see a theme here? 😉 )
From here it all depends on your personal choice. I usually serve 1 to 2 pieces with rice on the side. You may choose to serve the chicken on the rice, and you can even squeeze some fresh lime juice on it if you want. It’s quick and easy and of course feel free to change spices to your tastes. Enjoy!